Saturday, December 3, 2011

 Being reduced to a scold ain't fun-but really. Worse these folks claim that composing for a bassoon is somehow less likely to get a performance than an orchestral work?  Oh my imagine how many bassoonists there are compared to say string quartets?  Solo instrument music especially for college players is  lucrative indeed. 

http://www.newmusicbox.org/articles/higher-definition-the-link-between-opera-and-film/

Phil Fried says:
For me the connection is tenuous. Film scoring is mostly an instrumental form. Opera is not. On the other hand if your expectation is a dramatic reading with the words set to music, heterophonicly, to the underscoring fine. In fact I sent a letter to MN opera some time ago to that effect. What I had in mind was to turn classic movies into operas using their original sound tracks. Obviously the same procedure could be used to create new works

_______________________________
http://www.newmusicbox.org/articles/the-composers-toolbox/


Phil Fried says:
I like harmony and counterpoint. Then again I don’t teach in a university.

No comments:

Post a Comment