Saturday, August 20, 2011

dull week --maybe not with some additions

  Ok pgblu like to explain what others think even if he hasn't confirmed the facts of their opinions . Worse since he is always right you couldn't possible disagree with him. As you see...

I'm getting picked at Rob because as you can see you can't always tell if he is talking to us, that is us composers. or the "we" that is the subjects of his book.    Nothing is more irritating than to pretend that a private party is public.  That is simply a matter of writing.  Here Rob does not mean "where is our place" rather where is the place of the folks in my book.  (by the way I was not referencing his book by mentioning success--I don't know who is in it ---I was mentioning his link.  Though its not odd he would reference his fellow NYT posters. On the other hand...  Mark Grant generates a lot of heat but not much light.


 http://www.newmusicbox.org/articles/where-is-our-place/

 phil fried says:
Community service is central to my experience as a composer.
http://youtu.be/leODcleuk4I
http://youtu.be/O3zDsM-DQlo
I’m certainly not the only one doing this and if I found a way so can others.
As for political composers I disagree that there are few. It seems that you are only looking for composers are currently “successful”. That term is relative after all. In addition one might draw a distinction between creators of direct political works, and those where the politics are supplied by editorial or title.


Phil Fried says:
“I…was hoping that if there were divergent views from what I’ve come to find in those interviews, they would be brought to light in this comment section…”
Well Rob it seems that my divergent comments are neither here nor there.
What is the point? Are you planing an addenda?



phil fried says:
“..Rob Deemer comes along and says that person would do well to join the volunteer fire department, then doesn’t that admonition seem maybe at least a little preachy, self-serving, and smug?…”
I think that its a tension to imply that a composers self-interest is for the public good. I’m not sure that I believe that.


Pgblu is correct that the term community has not been adequately defined and so my specific comments (it’s not like I haven’t expressed these attitudes before) answer a question no one but myself had in mind. On the other hand to narrow the definition of community to composers or say just the subgroup of successful composers seems wrong to me.

phil fried says:
A healthy music culture also includes dissent. That’s how I might define it. Yet if you don’t define it that way then my points are moot.


Phil: I don’t think Rob means to equate composer’s self-interest with the public good, and neither do I. I don’t think Rob nor I wish to privilege any one community over another.
A healthy music culture also includes dissent.
–I should think so!

My complete quote here:
“..A healthy music culture also includes dissent.
That’s how I might define it. Yet if you don’t define it that way then my points are moot.

Ok. You disagree with Rob then your in exact agreement on a point that has not yet been clarified to me -sure.
You disagree with me and then agree with me, but only by honoring part of my statement. Whatever.

My point is this; Rob is privileging a group of composers those who are in his book.



___________________
http://www.newmusicbox.org/articles/color-vs-content/

Phil Fried says:
For myself setting music to the orchestra is like setting text to music. The words must scan and so my orchestrations must present my musical ideas clearly. The color, then,is in the ideas. I have orchestrated from a short score and direct to full score as well and I’ve had good results both ways–I do try to develop a style. I’ve been told I pretty good at this. As an orchestrator what is interesting for me is the combinations of instruments and creating new parts by heterophony. (For those who don’t know me I am an contrapuntalist). Sometimes practical considerations become important. For example weighting elements towards the stronger players in an ensemble. Anyway, I suggest orchestrating historical music in historical styles first- that’s how I learned.

Phil Fried says:
Thank you Mark, but I thought we were talking about the living. In any event since I am a follower of Schoenberg I think my comments align. Besides that I try to stay out of the hypothetical.



No comments:

Post a Comment