Friday, February 25, 2011

This weeks nmb and sequenza21 posts

 Ok So I joke...sorry

http://newmusicbox.org/chatter/chatter.nmbx?id=6792


simpatico
By philmusic
I compose because its David Coll's job.

Phil Fried

Whats left of Phil's site

Saturday, February 19, 2011, 6:40:31 PM
_______________________________________


By philmusic

"...I see a historical time-line. Miles Davis versus Tom Scott, The Mothers of Invention versus The Fugs, James Brown versus Sly Stone—there's something to it..."

Well not for me. Perhaps if you want to stress the inclusive nature of jazz --everybody fits in somewhere--perhaps. A Closer examination of your examples I think will show that geography is not destiny.

Besides did we forget Chicago? What coast are they? Or Brazil for that matter.

Phil Fried

Phil's Mid-west page


I forgot to mention...


Mr. Harris if your going to quote my post in your blog "geography as destiny" you might at least take the trouble to answer my post. On the other hand if it is your intention just to report your doings that's fine just make it clear.



Phil Fried

Phil's pretty easy to ignore page

I forgot to mention...


Mr. Harris if your going to quote my post in your blog "geography as destiny" you might at least take the trouble to answer my post. On the other hand if it is your intention just to report your doings that's fine just make it clear.



Phil Fried

Phil's pretty easy to ignore page

_____________________________
http://www.sequenza21.com/2011/02/what%E2%80%99s-wrong-with-the-arts-well-it%E2%80%99s-not-the-artists/comment-page-1/#comment-25640
  

Phil Fried says:
“..And these groups are misbehaving. They are overly-conservative, subject to “group think” and so worried about budgets that they forget that bad art hurts budgets far more than risk-taking does…”
Armondo–I think you misread this article. Michael Kaiser is taking the gatekeepers to task for not taking risks. I have to agree. Especially as an opera composer who has completed 4 opera and not 1 performance. Ok parts of my 5th are on youtube, and did quite well. On the other hand its not very easy to get to these folks attention. Even though it seems that Mr. Kaiser is only aware of artists as or more important than himself he questions it. The problem is that the local attention gained by the “artists of the moment” can simply drowned out other more artistic voices.
Who can change that?


“…This is the future. No whining aloud…”
Chris: I’m no shrinking violet and I do have my own opera company.OperaBob. Yet as a serial composer and a free jazz improviser the success of the composers mentioned above, except for perhaps one, have no particular resonance for me. Period. So the trends are not with me. I fight by working.
You misunderstand why I mentioned my “unproduced” work.
Not to close a door rather to open one. I thought that someone might want to try it. Why not? Stranger things have happened.
Why change the subject and make this about me? Whine or not. I stand by my above observations.
Actually Chris the answer to my question of who can change the attitude of the gatekeepers –its the gatekeepers themselves.

Phil Fried says:
Ultimately Chris we agree as to what must happen. I must ask you to allow me to keep my own understanding of why and how it happens. My experience may be untypical and perhaps my understanding wrong-but its mine. Besides…
Living composers trajectory is still in flux. Anything can happen.



Last week,

No comments:

Post a Comment